A delicious recipe from the Isle of Harris that’s a feast for the eyes as much as the palate.
- 12 x hand-dived scallops
- 250g organic beetroot
- 25ml apple cider vinegar
- 2tbsp natural yoghurt
- 100ml honey
- 60ml Isle of Harris Gin
- 2 x slices of prosciutto
- 1 x apple
- Freshly picked rocket
- Edible flowers
- Rapeseed oil
- Boil beetroot in salted water until soft (1 hr approx.) Drain and refresh in cold water. Peel, chop roughly and blitz with vinegar for 2-3 mins until smooth. Add yoghurt and blitz for 30 secs more. Strain into pot ready to heat.
- Place prosciutto between 2 sheets of greaseproof paper and press between trays to keep flat. Place in oven for 30-40 mins at 150C to dry. Remove and pat with paper towel to remove excess fat.
- Add honey to a non-stick pan, place on high heat for 3-4 mins to caramelise. Add Isle of Harris Gin and simmer for 1 min to combine. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Prepare scallops by removing any black parts or tough muscle, leaving only the meat and clean roe.
- Gently heat the beetroot puree.
- Sear the seasoned scallops in hot pan with rapeseed oil for 2 mins on presentation side. Squeeze on lemon juice and add 25g of butter. When butter foams turn the scallops and continue cooking for 30 secs.
- Remove from the heat but leave in pan to finish. Drizzle some Isle of Harris Gin caramel over the scallops.
- Chop apple into batons.
- Remove scallops from the pan and place on a paper towel to remove excess pan juices.
- Smear beetroot puree on the plate, arrange scallops along the purée, garnish with flowers, air-dried prosciutto, apple and rocket. Finish with Isle of Harris Gin caramel.